Sunday, April 1, 2012

Date Night and an Incredible Weekend

Reid and I got a chance to see Jim Gaffigan in Chicago on Friday night.  Mr. Gaffigan is one of our favorite comedians, and if you've never heard of him, allow me to introduce you

Here's a little clip of his stand-up


Needless to say, we laughed. A lot.  

This was our quick bite to eat.  I can't tell you the last time I ate a Big Mac.  Opening up the box and checking out the burger made me wonder what we were doing...and then that first bite reminded me... so good!  I can't say I felt incredible after eating the burger and all the fries, but I'm searching for balance in my diet and this helped round out the corner of less-than-nutritional food :)


These pictures crack me up because we both look so silly!  Probably our giddiness in being there.  My favorite part is the girl behind us in the second photo because the flash on our camera is almost seizure inducing.  A little like a strobe light packed with the brightness of the sun. I'm glad we can keep her cute little face forever and that she survived the moment with us.  

It was also General Conference this weekend.  If you don't know what General Conference is, it's a special meeting held twice a year where our prophet and other leaders in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints speak and give testimonies of Christ and his teachings.  They give words of encouragement, of counsel, and of guidance of how we can improve ourselves and help those around us.  Here is where you can check out more if interested. 

As much as I enjoy laughing with Reid and sharing those fun times together, I was reminded how much more I enjoy sitting together and being uplifted by men and women testifying of our Savior.  The talks were so amazing - poor Reid had to listen to me say, literally after almost every talk, "Wow, Reid, that was really good."  

A theme that seemed to permeate throughout the various topics was our need to be kind to others, to not judge, and to be grateful for our many blessings.  How applicable in a time where being greedy and rude seems to reign.  

Not only did we get the chance to listen to Conference, but we also watched several episodes of one of my favorite shows, "Turning Point." 
 It's one of the neatest little shows that highlights the efforts of individuals that, after having a 'turning point' in their lives, have changed the world for the better.  One episode really touched me.  It was about a Jesuit priest that desired to help those less fortunate and despised in the community.  He co-founded 'Homeboy Industries' that includes now six businesses that serve as both a gang rehabilitation facility and training program.  The priest related the following at the beginning of the show: 

"A dream shared by a gang member began with he and I in a room that was pitch black.  He knows I'm in the room, but we're both silent.  Suddenly I take a flashlight out of my pocket and shine it on a light switch on the wall.  I hold it steady there, and the gang member knows only he can turn that switch.  Tentatively, he reaches for the switch and turns it on.  
The room is flooded with light, and at this point, the gang member is sobbing as he is relating his dream. He said, "The light is better than the darkness," as though he never knew that before. 
It was really a touchstone story.  I think prior to this I had tried to turn on the light switch for people.  I tried to save them.  But you can't really do that.  What you can do is know you own a flashlight and you happen to know where to aim it."

Profound.  As another person on a different episode said, "one person can make all the difference.   Actually, one person makes all the difference."  


Life is good, my friends.  We have much to be grateful for and so much room for improvement.  I'm glad we get the chance to do better and try harder.  

3 comments:

  1. hi my name is janelle warnick. our husband's are in dental school together at midwestern university, so i know you. i noticed you had a blog, and i have been reading it and, i thought it was really, really, really "neat," so i think i will stalk your blog from now on. thanks for writing really cool words on it. they really, really make me laugh and smile and feel happy. umm....?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys had so much fun! I love conference as well very powerful! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a good weekend, what a fun show to go see he is awesome!! How's school life treating you guys?

    ReplyDelete